Robert E. Barford Philosophy Scholarship
The following criteria must be met:
1. The recipient(s) shall be a sophomore, junior or senior at Eastern Illinois University with a declared major in Philosophy.
2. The recipient(s) shall have completed three philosophy courses at EIU with a minimum Philosophy GAP of 3.50. Recipient(s) overall GPA shall be a minimum of 3.20.
3. The recipient(s) shall upload a paper closely related to one of the fields of emphasis of Dr. Barford; classical philosophy, religious studies, social/political philosophy, or peace studies. Criteria shall be clear presentation of the topic, richness and craftsmanship of thought, use of resources, application of findings to contemporary life, and setting out of remaining questions. The paper may have been written for the scholarship application, may have been previously submitted as an EIU philosophy course assignment, or may be a creative work such as a position paper for a debate. The paper shall be at least 8 pages in length, not including the references list.
4. Financial need shall be a consideration in selecting the award recipient(s).
5. The recipient(s) may be eligible to receive the award again provided he/she continues to meet the criteria stated herein.