Social Science Writing Award
For undergraduates. Requires a well-written paper from a current or previous class at EIU, between 8 to 30 pages, on a topic in the social sciences.
The Departments of Economics, Geology-Geography, History, Political Science, Psychology, and Sociology-Anthropology of Eastern Illinois University invite students to participate in the Annual Social Science Writing Award competition. Participants are encouraged to revise papers before submitting them. Students need not be enrolled at EIU during the semester when the awards are made. Papers written the preceding Spring, Summer, and Fall are also eligible.
The Selection Committee requires double-spaced, typed papers that consistently follow a recognized style of documentation and prefers papers between eight and thirty pages. Winning papers will have the following qualities:
- Precise and Effective Use of Language
- Well-defined and Logically Developed Thesis
- Creative Topic Development
- Relevant, Superior Documentation
- Strong Command of the Subject – Including Current Points of View
- Cogent Synthesis and Conclusions
This award is announced and disbursed in the Spring semester.